By Guest Blogger Ali Kraus-Flowers
Fall has officially begun and with every new season I habitually stand in my closet blankly staring and announce “I have nothing to wear.” Most of us don’t have budgets that allow us to buy an entire new wardrobe, and digging around trying to repeat last Fall is a little depressing. My shopping strategy this season, is to remain pragmatic yet find inspiration. I’ve taken a look at this season’s biggest trends and whittled them down to a few “must haves” so any closet can quickly embody today’s Fall fashion.
Here are my suggestions:
1. Velvet. Yep! I said it and I can’t help but hear Eddie Murphy from Coming To America in my head. However, adding a little velvet to your wardrobe is very hot right not. I adore these velvet sneakers which are perfect for updating your everyday look. The blue velvet heels would be beautiful with a cropped pair of pants or jeans and I love everything about these grey velvet leggings and the combination they are paired with.
Velvet Sneakers | Zara $59.90
Velvet High Heel Shoes | Zara $59.90
Velvet Leggings | Zara $22.90
2. Deconstructed Jeans. A deconstructed jean means that it appears unfinished, recycled or has the appearance of coming apart. Personally I can never have too many jeans and I love combining opposite looks. I think these jeans are great for everyday and far more interesting than the typical destroyed jeans with a few holes in the knees. I also plan on wearing these little beauties at night with a great pair of heels and statement top.
Tomgirl Jean | American Eagle $59.95
AG Ex-Boyfriend Mid-Rise Slim Jeans | Anthropologie $298.00
Patchwork High Rise Mom Jeans | Topshop $80.00
3. Chokers. I typically dress very mono-chromatically and accessorizing is critical to keeping a look interesting. Chokers have returned as a statement piece that you will see everywhere this season. I love all three of these choices!
Horn Choker | Free People $68.00
Wide Metal Choker | Nordstrom $45.00
Ettika Leather Net Choker | Free People $58.00
4. Capes. Little Red Riding Hood can’t compete with these new versions of outerwear. They are the perfect thing to throw on when you are heading out to carpool or getting comfortable in the bleachers for the lacrosse game of the day.
Cape With Faux Fur Lapel Collar | ASOS $65.00
Only Wood Cape Coat | ASOS $121.00
CeCe ‘Lily’ Trench Cape | Nordstrom $148.00
5. Ruffles. Admittedly, ruffles are typically not my thing but I have been impressed with the milder versions highlighted today. I would easily get a lot of wear out of all the choices presented and think they give the perfect feminine edge.
Ruffle Pintuck Shirt | Free People $118.00
Santorini Top | Free People $68.00 h
Choral Ruffle Top | Anthroplogie $68.00
Ali Kraus-Flowers is the executive editor of IndigoTilt.com, a style blog that focuses on illuminating beautiful designs and the artists who create them. She lives in Charlotte with her husband and 3 children and hopes to help make a beautiful life easy! Sign up for the Indigo Tilt newsletter to receive more home and personal style inspiration! You can follow her on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest.