By Anne Glenn
A new store has come to Thruway Center – Southern Home & Kitchen! Having opened in August, this locally owned shop specializes in home décor, kitchen essentials, and cooking classes. Southern Home & Kitchen, or SoHo for short, carries top culinary brands such as Le Creuset, All-Clad, and USA Pan to name a few, plus it features fun and creative ideas for decorating your home and table.
Owner Linda and her daughter Jane have teamed up to bring you a unique place that will inspire and get you excited about cooking again. With a focus on entertaining in the home, it is only natural that SoHo offer a variety of cooking classes in the store’s high-end kitchen. SoHo is partnering with local chefs to bring you the best for these cooking classes, so participants will have the opportunity to take classes from professional caterers, bakers, and head chefs of restaurants such as Noble’s, Sweet Potatoes, and Meridian.
While several cooking demonstrations and classes will take place before the new year (see below for a list of the October classes), SoHo plans to offer 3-5 cooking classes in the store per week starting January. A catalogue of these future classes will be available in November. SoHo is also happy to organize a private demonstration or class for small groups (8-14 participants) on any open day.
The concept for SoHo arose when Linda decided to move to Winston-Salem just over a year ago to be closer to her daughters. Having already worked together to open and run a Monkee’s boutique in Virginia, this mother-daughter team knew what it would take to make SoHo a reality. Jane and Linda have enjoyed the challenge of learning a new business, and you can clearly see they brought their fashionable style into their new store. SoHo is full of fresh and festive concepts.
Come visit SoHo, your place for fabulous furnishings, elegant entertaining, and kitchen curiosities in Winston-Salem!
October Cooking Classes Available
Please call the store to sign up. To see full menus of each class, visit our Facebook page!
• “Fun with Crepes” on October 1st, 11:00-1:00 pm, $35 – this class will have you feeling comfortable making crepes in no time! You will make 3 different types of crepes.
• “Fabulous Seafood” on October 2nd, 6:00-8:00 pm – if you want to learn more about how to prepare seafood, then this is the class for you! You will learn to cook salmon, cod, and scallops in this popular class.
• “Creole & Cajun” on October 3rd, 6:00-8:00 pm, $40 – taught by a real Cajun, this class will give you the basics for cooking like they do in the deep South.
• “Southern Fall Brunch” on October 5th, 11:00-1:00 pm, $35 – a brunch menu that will knock your socks off, with everything from sangria to biscuits and shirred eggs on sweet potato crab hash.
• “Everything Pumpkin” on October 10th and again October 26th, 11:00-12:30pm, $25 – enjoy the fall’s harvest with this class centered on pumpkin and gourds!
• “Knife Skills” on October 15th, 11:00-12:00pm, $15 – learn basic skills and techniques for properly slicing and dicing.
Phone: (336) 777-3660
Southern Home & Kitchen
200 S. Stratford Road, #110
Winston-Salem, NC 27103