By Guest Blogger Emily Saunders
I am encouraging each of you to do 30 to 60 minutes of daily ”leisure” walking. This is not power walking, it’s not cardio, and it’s not intended to make you winded and sweaty. It’s about leisure- comfortable pacing, conversation and coffee drinking encouraged!
Personally, I never understood the hype until becoming a Mom when I actually began taking daily walks myself. Yeah- I used to think I was hard core . NOW, my friends, I am a firm believer in the physical and mental benefits that come with walking. Start with just 15 minutes per day and watch the positive effects happen. Go on your lunch break, early in the morning, or after work.
Need more incentive? 9 Reasons to Start Leisure Walking this Spring:
1. Walking decreases our stress hormones and balances the adrenal glands. As Moms we are often super stressed- physically, emotionally, or a combination of the two. Things like lack of sleep, constant whining, behavior issues, financial and time pressures and MUCH more can really add up.
2. Walking can help us lose fat: NOT because of the calories burned during exercise, but because even short duration, high intensity, Momsanity workouts produce some physical stress, it’s great to combat that surge with very low impact, low intensity exercise like walking. Again, it helps keep our hormones in check which promotes fat loss.
3. Walking improves our cognitive memory: Not sure about you, but this Mommy’s brain could use some help!
4. Walking is a great family activity: Men (husbands AND boys) tend to be more conversational when moving and occupied. A great time to catch up after a day of work and school.
5. Being Outside in nature helps our bodies release “feel good” hormones: While it’s great to feel good, these hormones also help combat increased stress hormones.
6. Walking requires no equipment or special clothing: Pajamas and coffee cups encouraged!!!
7. Walking is a great way to “wake up” when feeling sluggish: For the hormonal and environmental reasons mentioned above.
8. Walking is a great way to catch up with a friend: Bring your coffee (or wine) with you and move!!
9. Pray while walking: A great way to spend quiet time with God in his glory.
Emily Saunders is part of the Momsanity Team, which is a community of Moms striving to achieve balance through physical, emotional and spiritual wellness. You can read more about this amazing program here, and also get information about the Momsanity Sisterhood here. The Sisterhood is a closed group with nutrition guidelines, workouts designed for fat loss and strength building, daily spiritual guidance, and more!