By Guest Blogger Melody Bernstein
The University of North Carolina at Greensboro (UNCG) is premiering its first-ever Esports & Gaming Summer Camp for 9-14 year-olds. This summer, four one-week day camps are being offered on the UNCG campus. Campers will get to hone their gaming skills in our computer labs and our brand new Esports arena!
The camp content will include instruction from Black Rocket gaming company and UNCG faculty members. The Esports & Gaming camp will consist of two major topics being covered throughout the week – one in the morning and one in the afternoon. Time will also be allotted for gameplay and competitions.
Dates and Sessions:
- July 11- July 15: YouTube Content Creators and Battle Royale Games
- July 25 – July 29: Esports Apprentice – Streamers and Gamers
- Aug 1 – Aug 5: Python Coding and Minecraft Engineers
- Aug 8 – Aug 12: ROBLOX Coders and Makers
- 8:00am – 5:00pm
- 9-14 year-olds
Sample Camp Schedule (Taken from July 11 – 15 Session):
- 8:00am – 9:00am: Supervised game play in the Esports Arena or instructional content from UNCG faculty
- 9:00am – 12:00pm: YouTube Content Creators
Find your voice and leave your mark on the world! Whether you are six or sixty, it’s time to start a career as the next YouTube star. Participants can explore the variety of content and personalities that exist on YouTube and how to find your own niche. They will learn the Dos and Don’ts of the platform and how to practice good digital citizenship. Students will develop your on-camera presence, your own channel branding, and professional editing skills. Students will then take home a plan for launching your own channel with the content created in class! In addition, student projects will be available on a password protected Black Rocket website to share with friends and family. Students work in pairs or teams for most of the program.
- 12:00pm – 1:00pm: Lunch (bring your own or bring money for our food court)
- 1:00pm – 4:00pm: Battle Royale: Make Your First Fortnite Style Video Game
Fans of Fortnite, we need you! Instead of playing the game, design your own game. Using a professional 3D game development software, students will build levels and assets inspired by popular battle royale games like Fortnite. This course includes cartoonish action and battle sequences. In addition, student-created games will be available on a password protected Black Rocket website to share with friends and family. Students will work in pairs or teams for most of the program.
- 4:00pm – 5:00pm: Participants will enjoy supervised game play in the Esports Arena or instructional content from UNCG faculty
For more information and to register, click here.
Today’s blog is sponsored by UNCG ESports.