By Rachel Hoeing
It can be difficult to come up with gift ideas for the holidays, but it can be especially difficult when you need to ship a gift to another state, or when you are trying to purchase just one gift for a family or a couple. I have many relatives who I don’t often see at the holidays, but I still want them to know I am thinking of them and want to send something thoughtful their way. On the other hand, I loathe going to the post office to ship items because the line is often out of control, you need to find the right size box, you need to make sure the item doesn’t break during delivery, etc.
It’s also tough to find something that your 65 year-old uncle will enjoy just as much as his granddaughter who will be staying with him for the holidays. Taking all of this into account, I have compiled a list of gift ideas that are easy to ship to loved ones of all ages. I hope some of these might inspire you this season, and hopefully make your gift-giving a tad bit easier.
- Carolina Cookie Company – A fabulous way to support local businesses would be to order from this gem, based out of Greensboro. Delicious gourmet cookies are shipped in adorable tins that fit any personality. They offer a wide range of price points as well.
- Dewey’s Bakery – This is another great way to shop local and share your love of our area with friends and family. Moravian cookies, sugar cookies, and cheese straws are just a few examples of the delicious treats you can ship to your loved ones.
- Harry & David – I love the way their gift boxes are presented. Gift towers, baskets, you name it. I have found that the price point on these can be a little more expensive than places like Hickory Farms, but the selection is very unique.
- Hickory Farms – There is literally something for everyone. Gift boxes with meats and cheeses, fruit baskets, assortments of chocolates, and even whole steaks and hams. There are many different price ranges, so whether you want to spend $15 or $100, you can find the perfect gift!
- Omaha Steaks – This is a great idea for a family or a couple. The assortment of items to gift ranges from seafood to poultry, to sirloin, to dessert. Once delivered, the food can be cooked immediately, or frozen for use at another time.
- Our State – You will find unique and NC proud gift ideas on their website. Ideas can include BBQ sets, biscuits and jam, sea salts, snack boxes, and more. I love this idea when sharing with those who may not make it to NC often. It’s a great way to share some southern food.
- Red Truck Rural Bakery – This is housed just north of us in Virginia. You can shop online to find great gift ideas like pies, cakes, and granola. You’ll find unique items like Moonshine Cake, Mincemeat Pie, and gluten free options as well!
- See’s Candies – For those who have a sweet tooth, you can’t go wrong with See’s Candies. Chocolates, peanut brittle, lollipops, and nuts are just a few of the items to choose.
- Southern Oak Gift Co. – Based out of Cary. Unique gift boxes for any occasion and any personality. Ideas include the NC breakfast box, tea time hamper, and the NC brew box.
- Southern Season – Based out of Chapel Hill, this idea is one that you will love to share with others. Choose from gift baskets, teas, wines, nuts, cookies, and so much more. There is something for all ages, so you will have no trouble choosing a gift for anyone on your list.
- The Swiss Colony – This company has been around for almost 100 years, so they know what they are doing! They have plenty of food options available for gifting, but also offer jewelry, electronics, and toys if you are buying for individuals.
- Wolferman’s – Known for their “tradition of fine baking,” this is truly a unique idea to share with others during the holiday season. Picture bagels, English muffins, sweet rolls, cheesecakes, croissants, pies, muffins, and more. Just looking at the pictures will make your mouth water!
I hope these gift ideas not only come in handy for families far away, but maybe for the “person who has everything” or even the co-worker you might not know all that well, but want to share some holiday cheer. What did I forget? Comment below with other ideas to share with our readers!
For more gift ideas, click here!
Want to see more blogs like this and get notifications on local events and happenings? Subscribe to our free weekly newsletters here.
Love this list. There are so many options on here that I’m going to use this season!