By TMoM Team Member Anna Keller
It feels like we were JUST planning for summer camps and family vacations, and now the start of the school year is just over the horizon. Now that we’re in this home stretch portion of the season, I’m sure I’m not alone in wanting to squeeze as much as possible into these last days of summer. That said, I’m ALSO very much looking forward to getting back into the routine and rhythm that fall brings. It’s coming soon!
In the meantime…let’s get the most we can out of the present.
Here are some ideas of things to do as summer comes to an end:
- Set up a lemonade stand. I did this with my 5-year-old daughter just recently, and we had so much fun. Her lemonade (and cookie and dog treat) stand was donation based. She chose to raise money “to help the pets” (a.k.a. AARF Winston-Salem). We did this last year, too, and perhaps the best part was taking her to the AARF office to drop off her donation in person. It was such a special activity and really helped demonstrate the power of helping others (animals included!).
- Make homemade ice cream or popsicles. These frozen treats are very welcome amidst the extreme heat we’ve been having, and making your own creates a sweet memory in the process. This no-churn vegan ice cream recipe sounds amazing (and easy!). In addition, if you want to go the popsicle route you can try one of the recipes I rounded up for a TMOM post last summer!
- Visit a nearby attraction you’ve never been to. For us, this might be the zoo. (I can’t believe we’ve never been!) Whether it’s checking out the new Nido & Mariana Quebin Children’s Museum in High Point, visiting a playground that’s been on your list, touring Reynolda House, or something else, this could be the perfect time to experience something new as a family. Use our Bucket List to find out more about these places I mentioned and many more!
- Get some quality pool time in. This tends to be an activity the whole family can enjoy together, and although it’s hot right now we really don’t have THAT many days left where we’ll be able to comfortably swim outside. Let’s make the most of it now! You can also consider visiting a Splash Pad as well!
- Check out the farmer’s market and make a meal together. If you haven’t been to Cobblestone Farmer’s Market yet this summer, now’s the time! Then, take things to the next level by planning and preparing a seasonal, fresh meal together using ingredients you bought at the market. Use our directory here to find a Farmer’s Market near you.
- Host a cookout. Consider having a few friends or neighbors over for an end-of-summer party! Keep it simple by throwing things on the grill and asking people to contribute sides and drinks. Set up a sprinkler and fill water balloons for the kids, and soak in the end of the season.
What is it that you are trying to squeeze in during these last few days of summer? Share your ideas below!
Want to see more blogs like this and also get notifications on local events and happenings? Subscribe to our free weekly newsletters here.