By Carolyn Miller

“How Did That Happen????”

My husband and I are out for the evening at dinner about 45 minutes from home, and we have left our four children home with a new babysitter.  About an hour into our evening, my cell phone rings.  We are out in the middle of nowhere and cell phone service is horrible.  My oldest son, 11 years old at the time, is on the phone.  He tells me that Jack, our 9-year-old son, is choking on a marble.  I try to ask if he is still choking, but the phone goes dead.

After much panic, I finally get phone service and learn that Jack (pictured above) was OK. He was playing with a marble by  throwing it up in the air, and it somehow ended up in his mouth.  (We are still trying to figure out exactly how that happened.) According to Jack, he was trying not to swallow it, but it went down his throat anyway.  We rush home to meet the paramedics and they tell me Jack is fine – but we have to do an X-ray to see where the marble is and make sure it exits his body.  My husband and I look at each other and are both thinking, “How are we ever going to make sure this marble exits Jack’s body?”

Two days later, my husband and I are hanging out after dinner.  The kids are all upstairs showering and getting ready for bed.  Jack comes downstairs.  He tells us, “I was in the shower.  I felt the marble move inside my stomach, so I jumped, and I jumped, and I jumped and the marble came out!”  He opens his fist and shows us the marble!

We are still  trying to figure out exactly how that happened too!