By TMoM Team Member Laura Dydek
My son just turned one! The saying “The days are long, but the years are short” has never felt truer. The first year of his life flew by and it gets more fun each day. His birthday fell right in the middle of COVID-19, so there was no big party to be had but that did not stop friends and family from showering that little boy with ALL the gifts he could imagine.
Before I say anything else, know that I am so incredibly thankful for each and every gift he received. Everything came from the heart and I know everyone wants the best for my son. With that being said, this kid now has more toys than he will ever know what to do with! He is one. His attention span last, at most, a few minutes and then we are off to the next activity. Most of the time, he finds the most entertainment from brooms, our dogs, or toilet paper rolls.
Our recent toy explosion got me thinking about alternatives to toy gifts for kids! There are so many options that are lasting and appreciated in place of physical toys! These ideas are mostly geared towards toddlers, but many would be appreciated by older children as well. Also, please keep in mind that some of these gifts will have to wait until the world gets back to “normal.”
Here is a list of 30 gift ideas for children that are NOT toys!
- Children’s Museum/Zoo/Aquarium Membership
- Tickets to an event
- Dinner for the family
- Offering to Babysit- we could ALL use a break
- Music Class Membership
- Clothing- while it’s not the most glamorous gift, the child has probably outgrown all of their “baby shower” gifted clothes and could use a new wardrobe that fits!
- Diapers, diaper cream, bath supplies- again, not exciting, but absolutely necessary and it would be nice to not have to buy them. You could always pair it with a cute pair of pajamas or a stuffed animal to make it a little more “fun.”
- Savings Account/ Disney Stock
- Photo Album
- Cute/Personalized Toddler Bath Towels
- Arts and Craft supplies
- Subscription Activity Box
- Fun bedding
- Their own special chair/seat
- Personalized Stool
- Swimming Lessons
- Photography Sessions
- Magazine Subscription
- World Map
- Personalized Blanket
- Letters/Notes for them to open when they are older
- Family Member Matching Picture Game
- A date at the trampoline/bounce park with YOU
- Bird feeder with bird seed
- Make a donation in their name to a meaningful charity
- Personalized Luggage
These are just a few ideas that I feel our son would enjoy at his age and help create memories to last a lifetime. What ideas do you have that could add to this list?
Want to see more blogs like this and get notifications on local events and happenings? Subscribe to TMoM’s free weekly newsletters here.
Love these ideas! Memberships + experiences are the best!
Fantastic ideas, and I especially love the bird feeder idea! I bet toddlers would love to watch all the bird fun! We just bought a hummingbird feeder (my 16-year-old wanted it) and we excited to watch the action. Thanks for sharing these creative ideas!