By Kathryn Pepper, author of the blog Destination Craft
Valentine’s Day crafts are not just for kids! Today’s crafty blogger shares two ideas that are quick and easy for moms to create, and they also make great gifts for teachers, neighbors, friends or grandparents. Or you can create and keep for yourself. Plus, these projects are safe and simple enough to involve the kids.
If you are near a TV today, tune to Fox 8 News at 9:30 am for the Mommy Matters segment. Kathryn will be sharing these crafts – and the steps to create them – live with Shannon Smith! ~ Katie
Valentine’s Teacher Gifts
My oldest kid is in kindergarten so I’m new to the whole teacher-parent relationship. I gave his teacher and the teacher’s assistant a Christmas gift so I thought why not get them a Valentine’s gift? Nothing big or crazy but I think showing them sometimes that you appreciate them is a nice gesture.
I was at Target the other day and came across these adorable vintage-looking milk glasses. I also grabbed some chalkboard paint while I was there and hatched my plan for these teacher gifts. These don’t require a lot of effort or a lot of time, really. I think they turned out really cute and I’ll show you how I made them!
First, I taped off a section of the bottles to paint.
According to the directions, you’re supposed to apply a coat, then wait an hour and apply another coat. Then you’re supposed to let the paint cure for 24 hours. Then you’re supposed to cover the chalkboard part in chalk to prep it, wipe it down, and you’re good to go!
Also, you can buy chalkboard pens at any craft store and I grabbed some while at Target. I realized, however, that the pens I bought were permanent. I had never heard of permanent chalkboard pens! So if you do this craft, look for non-permanent pens, in case of mistakes.
Fill up the jars with yummy candy and decorate with any other embellishments and you’re good to go! These would make cute gifts for anyone, they don’t have to be just for teachers.
Mini Pallet Valentine Art
I don’t know about you, but I have very little Valentine decor. Here’s a quick and easy project you can whip up and stick up just in time for this LOVE-ly holiday.
1. These sticks are from Michael’s and I don’t think they’re very expensive at all. Maybe $1.50/pack?
2. I used some wood glue to glue the sides together. I used 11 sticks but adjust to as big as you’d like.
3. I glued two sticks on the back to make it more study and to make it more like, well…a mini pallet.
4. After my mini pallet was dry, I spray painted it gray (make sure your painting area is well ventilated!)
1. I cut out a heart (just free-handed it) and then traced it onto the wood.
2. Okay, here’s where I could have/should have changed it. I placed stickers on the heart so that I could paint over the stickers and then remove them and there would be a lovely “love” stenciled into the heart.
3. However, as you can see, the stickers didn’t come off as prettily as I would have liked. I ended up painting over it with white but I should have just put the stickers on over the painted heart! Oh well. You can choose what you think will work for you.
And there you have it! A cute little Valentine mini pallet to put somewhere just in time for Valentine’s day!