By Rachel Hoeing
If your child loves princesses, we have some fabulous ideas to share with you today for a fun birthday party theme! If you would like to incorporate kids into the mix who aren’t really “princess” fans, we’ve got some ideas for them as well! A big thanks to my friends who contributed ideas for this blog!
I’ve listed three themes below for you to consider when planning your party. Hopefully one will fit the personality of your child:
- Disney Princess Party (use Jasmine, Snow White, and Cinderella to create a magical party)
- Knights & Princesses Party (great for party guests to choose which they would like to be, decorate with a castle theme, swords, crowns, and more)
- Generic Princess Party (purple and pink to your heart’s delight)
A great place to start is Pinterest. This can help you decide upon a color scheme, decorations, or basic theme for your celebration.
– A large cardboard castle that children can crawl into and play is always a hit!
– Pinatas. Although fun, I must give a major warning and disclaimer here – they can be very dangerous. My suggestion is to draw a large circle around the pinata (can use rope) and all children must stay outside of the circle even after the pinata breaks. Once it breaks, blow a whistle and then they can dive for candy.
– Balloons always take a party to the next level. Consider covering an entire ceiling with balloons to create a fun atmosphere, or creating a balloon arch as the entry into your home or backyard.
– A centerpiece on a dining table or craft table is always an eye-catcher. You can opt to use your cake for the centerpiece. Other ideas: A cardboard castle, a Disney Princess DIY (check out photo below from Shirley Blossoms), or check out this cute Cinderella carriage below from Mom Trends.
– Hire a princess or two to make an appearance at your party! The sparkle in the eyes of children when they see these beauties will be worth every penny! Princesses to Remember was started by a Triad teen entrepreneur two years ago, and brings the magic of a princess to your home! From reading a story to party guests, to taking photos, a princess transforms a birthday party. Reserving Royalty, and Princess Parties of NC are two additional businesses that have been recommended by our readers.
– How about an inflatable castle where children can jump until their heart’s content? The Triad has many great rental companies like Boone Enterprises, Bouncing Bonanza, Happy Rentz, Now It’s Party Time, and Space Walk.
– Set up a craft table where party guests can create and decorate their own crown, goblet, or coat of armor.
– How about a cute game of “Pin the Kiss on the Frog?” This is an adorable idea we found on catchmyparty.com.
Last, but never least, an amazing cake always steals the show at a party! If you are up for the challenge, you can find many DIY cakes on Pinterest. Otherwise, we have amazing bakeries in our area, many of whom will cater to nutritional needs as well. If you don’t want to purchase a large cake, consider individual cupcakes for your guests! Here some bakeries that were favorites in the TMoM Choice Awards contest: Greensboro/Burlington: Delicious, Easy Peasy Decadent Desserts, Maxie B’s Bakery & Dessert Cafe, High Point/Kernersville: Amoroso’s Bakery, Sweet Shoppe Bakery, Uncle Cheesecake, and Winston-Salem: Ava’s Cupcakes, Dewey’s Bakery, Nothing Bundt Cakes.
Invite your guests to dress up in princess costumes/dresses and wear their crowns and gloves. Or provide a trunk of dress-up clothes and costumes for the children to enjoy once they arrive. If you are hosting the Princess and Knight party, you can purchase plastic swords and shields for your knights. We love these from Oriental Trading Post.
And moms and dads … why not dress up yourself? Check out these adorable pictures of my brother and sister-in-law who joined in the fun by dressing up as Snow White and a Prince!
If you are looking for additional ideas for a birthday party or service, don’t forget to use our Birthday Party Directory! We have hundreds of businesses listed who are ready to help you plan the party of a lifetime!
You also may want to consider hiring a photographer for the day so that you can enjoy the party LIVE while they capture the memories behind the lens. View our Favorite Photographer Directory here.
Good luck to you and your little princess!