By TMoM Team Member Suzy Fielders
Are you tired of visiting the same places in North Carolina and looking for somewhere new for your family to visit? Look no further than Morganton. It’s right off I-40 so very easy access from anywhere in the Triad. Since it sits on the edge of the North Carolina mountains, it’s also not as far of a drive as Asheville or other mountain destinations.
It’s situated off Catawba River near Table Rock. This means there are stunning views pretty much from any point in town.
Things To Do in Morganton
This is a great little town for families to visit, as there are plenty of things to do and see here. There are some hotels right in the downtown stretch as well so it also makes for a great weekend trip – especially for a couples getaway!
While it is a small town the downtown area actually spans several blocks and has a lot packed in that area. There are tons of shops, restaurants, and bars. It’s a fun place to walk around and check out. Some potential ideas of places to visit or eat at in that walk:
- Grind Café
- Marquee Cinemas – good stop if you get in a sudden spring or summer rainstorm!
- Swede’s Café
- Adventure Bound Books
- Bella Vino Trattoria & Wine Garden – great choice if this is a couple’s day trip!
- Toasted and Rolled
- Sterling Grill & Lounge
- Pat’s Snack Bar
- Historic Burke County Courthouse
- Moondog Pizza
- Kin2Kin Japanese Restaurant and Sushi Bar
- Courthouse Square – May through July they host a TGIF Concert Series with 12 free concerts and several food & beverage vendors at each. Check those out here.
- Buzze’s Creamery & General Store
- Morganton Farmers Market – Open Saturdays 8 a.m. to noon
- The Road Grill Morganton NC
- Thornwell Books
- Craft’d – another adult-only destination
- History Museum of Burke County – Fun for history buffs or if you homeschool is a good learning destination on a day trip to Morganton. Note: they only seem to conduct guided tours at this museum and not allow self-tours.
Catawba River Greenway
What day trip isn’t complete without some outdoor fun to get that energy out from being pent up in the car? Luckily, Morganton has an awesome destination for that! Catawba River Greenway and Catawba Meadows Park offers:
- 8 paved walking trail along the Catawba River
- Ball fields
- Adventure playground
- Disc golf course (18 holes)
- Rock climbing tower
- Zipline park
- Concessions stand with drinks, foods, and candy for sale
To learn more about things to do in Morganton and Burke County, click here. Whether you want to bring the whole family up for a day trip or just enjoy with your significant other, Morganton offers tons of fun and culture with beautiful mountain views!