By Guest Blogger Michelle Spell
Have you ever heard someone say they do not like tomatoes yet they love salsa or marinara?
Sounds funny but in my house, I had a child who refused to eat potatoes but absolutely loved french fries! Hunter refused to believe they were the same vegetable and when soup weather was upon us, the thought of eating a bowl of potato soup made him cringe and grimace at the thought.
So, I quickly renamed my delicious potato bisque into French Fry Soup, and it’s now his most requested meal!
I hope you enjoy this dish as much as we do!
French Fry Soup
- 1lb low sodium Bacon (Reserve 3 raw slices, remaining should be well done and crumbled)
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 3 celery stalks with leaves, chopped
- 5 lb peeled, cubed Yukon gold potatoes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 Tablespoons Kosher Salt
- 2 cups Heavy Cream
- 1 lb shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Green Onions for garnish
- Salt and Black Pepper to taste
- Using a heavy stockpot or cast iron pot,
- Fry 3 raw bacon slices over medium-high until well done, remove and set aside.
- Add onion, garlic, and celery to the heated bacon oil and fry until translucent.
- Add Chopped potatoes, salt and cover with broth. Bring to a boil and cook until potatoes are soft.
- Add heavy cream once potatoes are soft.
- Using an immersion blender, fully blend all ingredients until the soup is smooth.
- Optional: remove one to 2 cups of potato cubes before blending and add back in once blended for texture.
- Once fully blended, add cheddar cheese, and mix until melted.
- Serve and garnish each bowl with chopped green onions and crumbled bacon.
- Salt and pepper to taste.