By Guest Blogger Suzy Fielders
Birthdays are always a great time to look back not just over the years and memories, but over the lessons you’ve learned.
One of my favorite quotes comes from the first Sex in the City movie. “Enjoy yourself… that’s what your 20s are for. Your 30s are to learn the lessons, and your 40s are to pay for the drinks.” To be perfectly honest when I first heard this in my 20s it didn’t quite sink in. But, now that I’m well in my 30’s I can attest that they are all about learning the lessons.
I just turned 37 and thought it’d be a great idea to share 37 lessons I’ve learned over the years. I’m sure many of my fellow moms, parents and women will be nodding along with many of these. Be sure to share some of your most valued lessons learned in the comments!
- Contrary to the famous saying, I do not believe time heals all wounds. I believe acceptance is what really heals those wounds.
- Life can always throw a curve ball. Hello Covid… the ultimate curve ball!
- Always trust yourself and instincts no matter what anyone says.
- Parenting might not be a ‘job’ but it is the hardest thing you will ever work at.
- Think before you speak. Think before you speak. It deserves repeating!
- There are all types of families and it is not easily defined.
- Raising a toddler seems like a breeze compared to raising a teenager.
- Find the joy in as many moments as you can.
- Do not pass on sleep. The dishes and chores can wait; sanity from lack of sleep is not worth it.
- Regrets can last a lifetime and it’s rarely worth it.
- Great memories can get a person through so many hard times.
- Nothing lasts forever. Check out my previous blog on ‘this too shall pass’.
- Travel as much as you can.
- Be proud of who you are, but humble in delivering that fact.
- Always mean what you say, otherwise what’s the point of saying it.
- Help others when you can, not just because it’s good for the soul but because it’s the right thing to do.
- Care less on what others think of you and more about how you feel about yourself.
- You will never make everyone happy. Don’t sacrifice yourself and mind trying.
- Find what calms you – singing, being outside, breathing, reading, yoga, etc. Then, be sure to do it as often as you can.
- Try to be a better version of yourself every day.
- It’s important to not just set goals, but determine steps to reach those goals.
- Taking a deep breath can truly change your mind set and lower stress if even for just a minute!
- It’s never too late to go after something that is meaningful to you.
- Two important keys to time management are prioritizing and organizing.
- There is no shame in asking for help. If anything it shows strength.
- Time is our most valuable asset.
- It’s important to celebrate people and dates that mean something special to you.
- You can never say I love you enough.
- Don’t ever let anyone make you feel bad about yourself.
- It’s ok to say no.
- Focus on what makes you happy.
- Drama is toxic. Cut people from your life if they bring drama into it.
- It’s ok to disagree. It’s not ok to cut someone down or name call because they disagree with you. Political differences especially included!
- Think how something would make you feel before doing it to someone else.
- Courage comes in many forms. Don’t underestimate yours.
- Mind over matter is very real.
- Humor goes a long way in many situations.
I wonder what lessons I’ll learn this year!
Want to see more blogs like this and get notifications on local events and happenings? Subscribe to our free weekly newsletters here.