I love unique products, great bargains and wonderful service when I am out and about in the Triad. Here are my favorite best kept secrets that fit into one of the above categories. I’ve also included a few additions from my friends Emily, Deborah, and Jayna – thanks ladies! The downfall is that since so many of these places truly are “secrets,” there are not always websites available. If there is in fact a website, you can access it by clicking the store name. You’ll just have to take our word for the rest of them and check these out! Tune in, take notes, and refer back to this for all the best kept secrets in the area…
Home Interiors & Furniture
– located in High Point. Huge warehouse of fabric that is very, very inexpensive. I covered six dining room chairs for $30. Insanity! 861-5506
– cute little guy with cool art. Check him out.
– great selection of mattresses and box springs that are very inexpensive. I think they are especially a perfect choice for a kids’ bed!
• Transit Damage Freight
– HUGE store with rooms and rooms of furniture. Although most of the furniture on site has some sort of “damage” to it, you can also order brand new furniture from their catalogs and save a ton of money. Located in Lexington 1604 S Main St Lexington, NC 27292 (336) 248-2646
• Furniture Junction in High Point
– has great deals on closeout furnishings and décor. They are located on N. Main Street in High Point, just next to Kepley’s BBQ 1300 N. Main St, 882-0830.
– located in Greensboro. The store itself is not much of a secret because it is HUGE, but what you can find inside is surprising. They have tons of great home décor, outdoor furniture, organizing items, frames, pillows, tote bags, party supplies, pottery, etc, and it is all under one roof. They always have terrific clearance sales after the holidays as well.
• 109 Building Supply
– great place to go when you might be doing renovations. They have doors, tile, bathroom sinks, drywall, windows, you name it! Located at 3410 Thomasville Rd Winston Salem, NC 27107. 336-784-0396
• BLL Rotisserie Factory
– located on Knollwood Street in W-S. On Mondays and Saturdays they have a special where you can get a 16 inch pizza for $8.99. So yummy and such a great deal.
– nine locations in W-S and GSO – they have sandwiches called “slims” that are perfect for picky eaters. These have nothing but bread and meat on them. They are 8 inches long, so for $3.75 you can split them and feed two kids!
• Emerywood Fine Foods
– located on Lexington Dr. in High Point. Their food is delicious and they have large portions. The waitstaff is super friendly. There is the most adorable outdoor seating area as well.
– all locations – exchange your kids meal prize for an ice cream cone for free!
–Buy one get one free ice cream sundaes on Wednesdays! Little did you all know, but I am also a “sprinkle connoisseur”, so I can tell you that Carvel has the best sprinkles ever. Two locations in Greensboro and one in Advance.
– great deals on their meats. You can call and ask for special cuts and they will prepare them and have them ready to pick up. Everyone there is always helpful and their prices are reasonable compared to the larger chains. 237 Cedar Lodge Rd Thomasville, NC 27360, 476-6722
– in Friendly Center, GSO – they have a wide variety of free samples every day, and the portions are generous. There are benches, tables, and a cool rock that kids love to climb on outside.
• The Juice Shop
– one in W-S at Thruway and one in GSO at Friendly. Smoothies are $5, but plenty for two people to split or even a mom and two kids! • Dairi-O – old fashioned ice cream shop in King (983-5560)and also one in Rural Hall (377-2667), about ten minutes past the Grand Theater. It’s like you traveled back in time. Yummy hot dogs, too.
• The Bagel Station
– located on Oakwood Dr. and Robinhood Road in W-S. Not only do they have the yummiest bagels on the face of the earth, but everyone who works there is SO DARN NICE!
– located right off I-40 in Kernersville. Not only is the food delicious, but the portions are huge, the waitstaff is friendly, there are more hushpuppies than you could ever eat, and it is kid-friendly, too!
– located in Burlington. Cute, cute, cute, boutique kids clothing at discounted prices. Wait for the sale and you’ll get them even cheaper! Quick and easy drive from anywhere in the Triad.
– my new favorite place for cool clothes that actually fit moms, but don’t make us look like moms. They have great markdowns and the regular prices are very reasonable as well. They have fabulous and funky jewelry and accessories that are often on sale. Also a super place for gift ideas! One location at Friendly Center in GSO and one at Thruway in W-S.
– childrens’ boutique that always had gorgeous clothing, but the exciting part is when she has her end-of-season sale! She starts at 30% off and the prices keep dropping until everything is gone! Most of the time, you can end up buying shoes and clothing for the next season at 70% off. AND there is the most adorable playhouse that will occupy the kids while you shop.
– best place to go for shoes if you or your child has wide feet! You can even special order if needed. Another hidden secret is that they have more than just your typical running shoes – think cute summer sandals, great workout clothes and an entire line dedicated to Susan G. Komen for the Cure. Located in Thruway Center.
– West Lexington Drive in High Point, Not only do they have adorable clothing, but the owner has just started consigning maternity and high end children’s clothing. Selection is fantastic.
– great consignment sale in W-S each spring and fall. Check out the website for more info on how to consign or shop. You will get some super deals!
• Sandra in Lingerie at Belk in Hanes Mall
– if you need a bra, go see Sandra! That woman will hook you up (literally) with a bra that fits right! Word of caution – modesty does not come into play here.
• High Point Museum-
Great spot to visit when they host outdoor activities. Plus, it’s free admission.
• Membership to SciWorks and the Natural Science Center of Greensboro
– buy a family annual membership to one of these two places and it will get you in free to hundreds of other science museums around the country.
– located in W-S – $3 movies for kids in the summer on Tues and Wed at 10am, and includes popcorn and a drink!
– located in High Point – with a membership (individual or family ranging from $49-$82a month), you can join Oakview Pool for $150/summer. If you do not have a YMCA membership, it is $350 to join. The pool is nice and clean and has a separate baby pool. The lifeguards are very friendly (they even sit in the baby pool area). They have a snack bar, volleyball and basketball court. 3519 Imperial Dr, High Point, NC 887-6092
– all movies, all times, all ages, always $3!!! These are new releases, too. Sweet deal.
– first Wednesday of the month is free admission for Greensboro city residents from 1-5pm . Be sure to call ahead of time to make sure it is still scheduled.
• Kleeburg Cinema at Marketplace Mall
– all movies always $2.50! Located on Peters Creek Parkway in Winston-Salem by the Marketplace Mall.
– check out how your kids can bowl for free!
– Downtown Art District in Winston-Salem – the first Friday of every month from 7:00-10PM – Rain or Shine. Shops, studios, and galleries open extended hours. Artists, live music, dancing, entertainment and more!
– located in GSO – best storytime around, and there are beautiful areas to play outdoors afterward!
– Another place that I hate to tell the secret, but it is just such a good one! My children participated in sports here for over three years and I could not be more pleased. I am not willing to give up weekends for sports quite yet, and this program works out great for us. Most sports are only one day a week, with no weekends. Plus, it is usually only $25 a season! Leah, the supervisor, is extremely laid back and makes the sports fun above all else. My kids have loved the coaches and the atmosphere. Basketball, soccer, flag football, you name it! Many things are available including crafts, afterschool programs and holiday parties! It is not just Miller Park that offers these, it is WS wide, but this is the one I can vouch for! Email Leah at Leahf@cityofws.org or visit www.WePLAY.ws.
• K & L Contractors
– husband and wife team – Lisa has a terrific and meticulous cleaning service. My house had never been this clean before! Kevin has a home repairs and remodeling service. We have used him for many different jobs and we have been extremely happy with his work! 766-8784, firstname.lastname@example.org
• Post Office at Hanes Mall in W-S
– open on the weekends! Hours are – M-F 10-6pm, Sat 10-6pm, and Sun 1-5pm.
• Greg’s Graphics
– Located in Thomasville, does monogramming (and other stuff) for good prices. Great quality work. The address is 218 Cedar Lodge Rd, Thomasville, NC – 475-7896
• JLM Auto Detail & Hand Car Wash
– Thomasville 926-8302, located at 600 Julian Avenue, can get minivan washed, vacuumed, and tires sparkling for $15! Cash only.
– owned by the friendliest man around – Mark Goslen! He truly cares about his customers. The staff here is a joy to work with and they do wonderful work. You can have small items printed, posters, calendars, you name it. Located on Healy Drive in Winston-Salem. 336.768.5775.
Books and Toys
– store located in Lewisville. Great for homeschoolers, teachers, or moms who want to have some great educational supplies at home!
– Buy, sell and trade! Greensboro and Winston locations.
– Next one is August 22-26 in Greensboro – books, books, and more books!
– nothing to do with the Triad, just a smart way to save – dial this number instead of paying to call 411. You can do this on your cell also and not have to pay an additional charge. Only downfall is that the advertisements and the automated voice can get really annoying.
• Creative Containers (Buckhead Betties) Warehouse Sale
– We’ll let you know when the next one comes along! If you didn’t get to the last one, you are missing out!
on Farris Avenue in High Point – Great for violin, piano, voice, guitar etc. Small setting, good prices. 886-7265
– located in Downtown Greensboro – great date night
– located in Kernersville – Doula and massage therapist…simply the best.
– DVD new released rentals for one dollar! Choices for kids and adults. Great as a reward system for kids! You can find Redboxes at Harris Teeter, Walmart, Lowes Foods, and Walgreens. Keep in mind it’s one dollar for each day you keep the video.
• Main Street in Kernersville
– plethora of adorable shops such as Muddpies Pottery, Paper Sassy, Splurges Boutique, and Evy’s Gifts. Great food as well! Perfect for a day of strolling outside and into quaint little shops.