Updated by Katie Moosbrugger
Apple picking is always a fun adventure for families, and a great way to spend an afternoon outdoors. Below is a list of pick-your-own apple farms and orchards within the Triad, or within a 3 hour drive if you are looking for a day trip excursion. Farms are listed in alphabetical order, and you can click on the name of each to visit their corresponding website. Where applicable, we also added in special notes about the 2020 season, plus other fun things to do and note about the farms.
Be sure to call each venue and confirm that the apples are ripe for picking before you visit. Also, be sure to check operating hours, as many are closed on certain days of the week.
Apple Hill Orchard
Address: 2075 Pleasant Hill Avenue, Morganton, NC 28655
Phone: (828) 437-1224
* Orchard includes a cider mill, a country store, and a bakery
Bee Sweet Orchards
Address: 2229 Pannel Rd Reidsville, NC
Phone: (336) 427-6933
* Offers Red Delicious and Golden Delicious apples
Billy Laughter Orchards
Address: 111 Tullahoma Farms Lane, Hendersonville, NC 28792
Phone: (828) 685-3241
* Once there, you’ll also find great Fall Harvest decorations such as pumpkins, Indian corn, winter squash and gourds.
Address: 1261 Oak Ridge Farm Hwy, Mooresville, NC 28115
Phone: (704) 664-1450
* 2020 season will start September 8 and run through end of the month.
Century Farm Orchards
Address: 1614 Rice Rd, Reidsville, NC 27320
Phone: (336) 349-5709
* Not allowing pick-your-own apples this 2020 season
Coston’s Apple House/Coston Farm Products
Address: 3748 Chimney Rock Hwy., Hendersonville, NC 28792
Phone: (828) 685-8352
* Visit the farm to find everything you need to decorate for the fall season, including pumpkins, gourds, corn shocks, hay, and Indian corn. You can also find other unique decorations in their gift shop, as well as seasonal treats in their bakery!
Address: 280 Bent Arrow Lane, Hendersonville, NC 28792
Phone: (828) 685-7728
Grandad’s Apples N’ Such
Address: 2951 Chimney Rock Road Hendersonville, NC 28792
Phone: (828) 685-1685
* Galas are available for picking! Their corn maze is currently open, and all other children activities (barn yard animals, a cow train, a jump pillow and an apple cannon) will start after Labor Day and follow CDC guidelines.
Hill’s Orchard & Vineyard
Address: 4554 Finch Farm Road, Trinity, NC 27370
Phone: (336) 475-7042
* Not offering any apple sales this 2020 season
Historic Orchard at Altapass
Address: 1025 Orchard Rd, Spruce Pine, NC 28777
Phone: (828) 765-9531
*Also offers storytelling, checkers, and dancing. No hayrides for 2020 season.
Address: 187 Garren Road, Hendersonville, NC 28792
Phone: (828) 974-1232
* Tour the orchard, visit the ducks in the pond as well as the farm animals, let the kids take a ride on the Cow Train through the orchard, and don’t leave without a stop at its bakery or Apple House for pre-picked apples, honey, jams, jellies and preserves, and other homemade goodies.
Kordick Family Farm (*pre-picked apples only)
Address: 1259 Joyce Acres Road in Westfield, NC 27053 (near Pilot Mountain)
*They grow 170 varieties of heirloom apples and while not a certified organic farm, everything is holistically-grown (check their website for an explanation of practices). While there, visit the farm store — a restored tobacco packhouse, and filled with orchard mercantile such as fresh apples, apple butter, apple cider syrup, apple jams and jellies, apple-wood crafts. They also have plenty of pumpkins, gourds, winter squash, and broom corn for fall decorations. Dogs are welcome on the premises, but for food safety reasons, they are not allowed in the orchard or packhouse.
Address: 163 Levering Lane, Ararat, VA 24053
Phone: (276) 755-2224
* Bring a lawn chair and enjoy their outdoor theatre (although shows are geared more towards adults)
Millstone Creek Orchards
Address: 506 Parks Crossroad Church Road, Ramseur, NC 27316
Phone: (336) 824-5263
* Reservations are required for u-pick, and no hayrides offered for 2020 season. More information on their website.
Address: 1193 Pinnacle Mountain Rd, Flat Rock, NC 28731
Phone: (828) 692-7930
* In addition to a long list of apple varieties, the orchard offers panoramic views, orchard ponds with ducks and geese, a barnyard area with sheep, goats, chickens, turkeys, peacocks, a bamboo forest to explore, and lots of picnic areas.
Stepp’s Hillcrest Orchard
Address: 221 Stepp Orchard Drive, Hendersonville, NC 28792
Phone: (828) 685-9083
* Farm includes a five-acre corn maze, apple cannon, and a nature trail. Check opening dates with the farm before heading out! Tractor pulls and apple cannons only available on weekends.
Stoney Hollow Farm
Address: 944 Ollies Creek Rd., Robbinsville, NC 28771
Phone: (828) 735-2983
Windy Hill Orchards
Address: 176 Windy Hill Lane, Ararat, VA 24053
Phone: (276) 251-5222
* To find this farm, do not use GPS. Use directions from the “Contact” page on their website.
Got another favorite that we missed? Email Katie@TriadMomsOnMain.com and we will add it to our list. In addition, if you have feedback or tips for any of the locations above, please leave a comment below!
Want to see more blogs like this and get notifications on local events and happenings? Subscribe to our free weekly newsletters here.